- Tools & Equipment
- Roof Surface Preparation
The ClassicBond fully-adhered system will adhere to wood, wood fibreboard and lightweight concrete. This product may NOT be applied to polystyrene insulation. The ClassicBond Water Based Acrylic Adhesive is intended for bonding to timber surfaces only. Other surfaces must be bonded with ClassicBond Bonding Adhesive. Roofs over 100m² must also be installed with Bonding Adhesive.
Be sure the roof surface is clean, free of dust, dirt, rust, oil, grease, and loose material. The roof surface must be dry.
This product will not adhere to wet or damp surfaces. Trapped moisture may vaporize and negatively affect the performance of this product.
Good roofing practice dictates that ponding water be prevented. The roof surface should have a positive slope of at least 1 in 80 to prevent ponding water conditions. Before starting please consult the “Precautions” section at the beginning of this manual.
If the bonding adhesive is not allowed to properly dry, gas bubbles or blisters may form under the membrane sheet. These bubbles or blisters may subside over time.
Due to solvent flash off, condensation may form on freshly applied adhesive when the ambient temperature is near the dew point. If condensation develops, possible surface contamination may occur and the application of adhesive must be discontinued. Allow the surface to dry and when conditions allow apply a thin refresher coat at a coverage rate that is approximately half of the normal coverage rate when re-adhering a previously coated surface.
Extreme care must be exercised when working on ladders, roofs, or at elevations above ground. If used as an emergency repair to a roofing system, contact the roofing system manufacturer for compatibility and to ensure compliance with terms and limitations of the warranty.
Surface can be slippery when wet, damp, or frost covered.
Do not stretch the product during installation.
Do not expose product to temperatures in excess of 82° C (180°F).
This product is not intended for use where roof top traffic or activity is anticipated without a protective layer installed on its surface.
- Unroll the ClassicBond EPDM membrane over the substrate so that the sheet is in the desired position and is wrinkle free.
- The ClassicBond Water Based Acrylic Adhesive is intended for bonding to timber surfaces only. Other surfaces must be bonded with ClassicBond Bonding Adhesive. Roofs over 100m² must also be installed with Bonding Adhesive.
- It is essential for ClassicBond EPDM membrane is allowed to relax prior to adhering. The time required for this will vary depending on weather conditions.
- Cut the membrane to length if required, and position the sheet to achieve an overhang off the roof of at least 75mm (3”) for both the length and width.
- The RUSS (Reinforced Universal Secure Strip) should already be installed wherever the membrane turns up through an angle change.
- Fold the sheet onto itself so that one-half of the sheet is exposed; take care to avoid wrinkles.
- Open and thoroughly stir the ClassicBond WBA Adhesive or Bonding Adhesive. Using a medium nap paint roller apply the adhesive to the substrate, or if using Bonding adhesive, the rear of the membrane as well.
- The adhesive must be applied to 100% of the surface in an even coat without globs or puddles. The adhesive can alternatively applied in a thin coat to the membrane and substrate.
- Roll the sheet onto the coated substrate avoiding wrinkles by rolling the middle of the sheet first. Immediately after rolling the sheet into the adhesive, broom the membrane sheet to achieve maximum contact.
- DO NOT apply excessive pressure to cause the membrane to wrinkle.
- Repeat the application of ClassicBond WBA adhesive for the other half of the ClassicBond EPDM membrane.